Saturday, October 08, 2005

The Civil War Letters of Charles Harvey Hayden pt 5

Charles writes to his sister Laura, from Frederick City, Maryland, on May 25, 1863, the Smoketown Hospital he had been confined to during the past seven and a half months will never meet his eyes again. This letter comes shortly after the Battle of Chancelorsville in early May. Combined, the North and South suffered over 30,000 casualties and was the most humiliating Union defeat of the Civil War. The stress placed on the medical corps of boh sides of care of the wounded was beyond capabilities. Good fortune and luck was with Charles because he found himself in a situation offering clean, un-crowded quality care. Once examined by the doctor in his new setting, there was evidently consideration for sending him to the Invalid Corps. However, serving the remainder of his military term with the maimed and handicapped was not to be his fate. Most interesting are his eye-opening comments concerning the care of rebel prisoners! Fredrick City May 25, ‘63 Dear Sister, I have left Smoketown at last. I have been here three weeks. I did not get my discharge at Smoketown as I expected. I don’t know how long I will be here probably all summer. The weather has been very warm for a few days – I do not think I feel as well when the weather is very warm. I spoke about my discharge to the doctor Saturday morning for the first time. Twice I have been in the hospital. I thought if I could go north where the weather is cooler it would be better for me. The doctor gave me but little encouragement about going home and seemed to think that I might be able to go into the invalid corps, but said he wold see if I was enitled to discharge. The hospital is pleasantly situated just at the outskirts of the town. There are 18 to 20 buildings 100 or 200 feet long and about 30 feet wide. They are enclosed by a high fence and when we wish to go out we have to get a pass. I have had 4 and 5, and have not had to ask for one – I like it here very well everything is kept very nice and clean. The hospital is not very full of patients. The rebel patients were went off a few days ago. They were used as well as we can sleep in the same rooms and eat at the same table. I believe in using prisoners well and I wish that our prisoners could be used as well as they have been. I think they (Rebels) are used better than the (Union) were. Laura, perhaps you may not get this letter very soon but answer as soon as you get it and tel me where to direct if you are at home or anywhere else from home. Direct Fredrick City General Hospital MD Barrack O My ink is so poor that i do not know whether you can read this letter or not. From Hervey to his sister Laura. P.S. Laura, if you are at home answer (confirm) with a few lines in your next letter.

No comments: